This site used to be hosted on Fastmail, which does 95% of what I want. It’s now back to Netlify.
- Easy way of deploying (e.g. via Git)
- Canonical URLs with trailing slash
- Fast deploys
- Instant deploy switchover
- Minimum maintenance
- Configurable caching (e.g. for cache-busted assets)
Nice to have:
- Sustainable hosting
- Host scheduling software
- Host URL shortener (e.g. cass.run)
Fastmail web hosting evaluated
What I liked:
- Static HTML copied with
What I don’t like:
- No good redirect support. There is an admin panel, but setting up redirects there is a bit of a pain.
- No per-site logs (which I could use for analytics purposes).
- Fastmail’s WebDAV implementation does not support checksums, and files are considered changed only when their file size is different; modified files won’t be synced if their file size is exactly the same.
- Not possible to do instant deploys. This isn’t really necessary for personal web sites, but would be good to have anyway
Netlify web hosting evaluated
I use Netlify for both my personal web site and the Nanoc web site. For Nanoc, I’m letting Netlify build the entire site, though for my personal one, I’m building it locally and pushing the already-built HTML/CSS/etc files, which is not quite making good use of what Netlify can do.
What I like:
- Redirect support
- Easy to set up
- Instant switchover deploys
What I don’t like:
- Deploys are slow, even when pushing already-built sites
- Free version is limited (naturally), e.g. no analytics
- Flexible (redirects, URL rewrites, expires headers, …)
- Relatively cheap
- Safe deployment
- Choice of green hosts
- Proper deploys possible
- More maintenance effort
- Security aspect is unclear
- Would need a separate CDN
Pro: Redirects are possible
Pro: Fairly cheap
Con: I have ethical objections to AWS
Con: Lots of setup work (even though I’ve done it before)
Con: Redirects are possible, but a bit of a pain
Pro: Lots of control
Con: So much maintenance
Con: Need to start thinking not just about hosting
- Shared hosting
Pro: Could find a green/sustainable host
Q: Which ones are good, and provide the features I want?